Sunday, March 11, 2012

Lab Project II


The Human Genome

Lab Project II

Part 1 of 2



Introduction: In this lab, I will introduce to you one chromosome. This chromosome contains many genes that encode proteins for different purposes. I will pick eight genes and describe their specific function.



Results:  My Chromosome was number 21. The eight genes I picked and their descriptions are as follows:



1)      APP (Amyloid Beta (A4) Precursor Protein



 Amyloid Beta (A4) Precursor (APP)  is a protein that encodes cell’s surface nerve endings and moves a predecessor protein across the membrane to form peptides (compound containing two or more amino acids). Some of these peptides are secreted to activate the transcription of DNA to mRNA while other peptides form a protein that is found in patient’s brains that are suffering from Alzheimer’.



2)      MIR 155 microRNA 155



 MicroRNAs affect the stability and translation of messenger RNA (mRNA) after the initial transcript from DNA to RNA. mRNA is a single strand of a DNA code that is converted during the transcription process of DNA to mRNA. MicroRNA begins as a primary transcript. The microRNA goes through a process to become a mature microRNA. MicroRNAs’ goal is to target messenger RNAs by the imperfect pairing with microRNA. The microRNA then gets rid of the target mRNA.



3)      CXADR Coxsackie Virus/Adenovirus



 Coxsackie is a virus of the poliomyelitis (disease of the spinal cord) that causes diseases in humans such as Herpangina, an infectious disease of children caused by the Coxsackie virus, and epidemic Pleurodynia,  caused by the Coxsackie virus with symptoms of sudden chest pains, mild fever and recurrence on the third day of these symptoms (dictionary.com).



4)      SOD1 Superoxide Dismutase 1, Soluble



 Superoxide Dismutase 1 (SOD1) is known as an isozyme, because this gene causes a chemical reaction that destroys free radicals in the body. This gene destroys free radicals by converting them to oxygen and hydrogen peroxide.




      5)      TRPM2 Transient Receptor Potential Caption Channel, Subfamily M, Member 2



 Transient Receptor Potential Caption Channel, Subfamily M, Member 2 (TRPM2) is a gene that encodes a porous calcium protein and is a positively charged atom. This protein is regulated within an ADP-ribose (a sugar obtained through RNA) cell.



6)      COL18A1 Collagen, Type XV!!!, Alpha 1



 Collagen, Type XVIII, Alpha 1 (COL18A1) is gene that provides instructions for making a protein that forms collagen XVIII. Collagen serves as connective tissue between the cells. Three COL18A1 proteins, alpha 1 subunits, attach to each other to form collage XVIII.



7)      S100B S100 Calcium Binding Protein B



 S100B is found in the fluid that surrounds the nucleus (the core of an atom) that regulates many cellular processes like cell cycle progression and distinction from other cells.



8)      TFF1 trefoil factor 1



Trefoil factor 1 (TFF) is a secretor protein that stabilizes the gastrointestinal mucous membrane and provides a physical barrier against various harmful agents (nextprot.org).



The gene I liked best out of the eight for chromosome 21 is SOD1 Superoxide Dismutase 1, Soluble. I like SOD1 because it destroys unstable free radicals that harm healthy tissue and can lead to aging and possibly diseases.



Conclusion: The human genome is a sum of a set of human gene instructions. I learned that these genes are coded for a specific function in the chromosomes. Humans have 23 pairs of chromosomes with many genes. Each gene in a chromosome is intended for a specific purpose that the body needs. Learning about the human genome is absolutely beautiful in all its complexity.








                                 Human Genome

Lab Project II

Part 2 of 2



Introduction:  In this part of my lab, I took a strand of DNA and transcribed it into mRNA to form 10 amino acids. Then I took the DNA strand and transcribed the letters into RNA to form my four complimentary bases. After I had my bases, I constructed a DNA molecule out of twizzlers and sour patch kids.



Procedure: The strand of DNA I had to work with contained 70 letters: A, C, G and T. These letters represent the complementary bases. A=Adenine, C=Cytosine, G=Guanine and T=Thymine. I first transcribed the DNA into mRNA. The difference between DNA and mRNA is that mRNA does not use Thymine, but Uracil. To transcribe DNA into mRNA the complimentary bases are as follows T pairs with A, A pairs with U, C pairs with G and G pairs with C. After I transcribed my DNA into mRNA, I can now splice the mRNA up into three successive base pairs, which represent a codon. A codon is three adjacent letters that are called nucleotides and the code for specific amino acids in the synthesis of a protein molecule. After I found my ten amino acids, I went back to my original DNA and transcribed it into RNA. For this I used the complimentary bases as follows A pairs with T, T pairs with A, C pairs with G and G pairs with A. I am now ready to create my DNA molecule. The materials I used were red and black twizzlers for my double helix. Red twizzer represents phosphate (the backbone) and the black twizzlers represents the deoxyribone (sugar molecule). For my four base pairs, I used multi-colored sour cabbage patch kids. Orange represents Adenine, Green represents Guanine, Yellow represents Thymine and Red represents Cytosine. To begin constructing my DNA molecule I first started with one side of the helix. I alternated 30 colors of black and red twizzlers, which were cut into one-inch pieces. I started and ended with black, which represents Deoxyribone the sugar molecule. I used a piece of string to tie knots on both ends of the twizzler strand. Next, I put together my base pairs. The toothpicks represents the hydrogen bonding in between the base pairs. Hydrogen bonds are what hold the double helix together. I attached each complementary base to the phosphate (red twizzler). After I completed my base pairs, I constructed the other side of the helix, which looks identical to the first side. I connected the complementary base pairs to the other half of the helix forming a double helix and twisted the ladder to represent a DNA molecule. The result was a DNA molecule representing the ten amino acids.

Results:  My Original DNA strand is as follows:

·         DNA Strand :



               ACC CTC CCG CCT GTT GTT GGA GCA TCT GGT TGG GGG CCT CTG GCC 

                TAG AGA ACC TTT GTC CTC TGG GGC A


    ·         Transcribed DNA to RNA by using the base pairs:  A=T, C=G, T=A AND G=C



               TGG GAG GGC GGA CAA CAA CCT CGT AGA CCA ACC CCC GGA GAC

               CGG  ATC TCT TGG AAA CAG GAG ACC CCG T



·         Transcribed DNA into mRNA by using the base pairs: A=U, G=C, C=G and T=A



                       UGG GAG GGC GGA CAA CAA CCU CGU AGA CCA ACC CCC GGA GAC

                    CGG AUC UCU UGG AAA CAG GAG ACC CCG U




After I transcribed the DNA into the mRNA, I was now able to take the three adjacent base pairs and using the chart below to identify the different types of amino acids.



Table 1. Genetic code: mRNA codon -> amino acid









The ten amino acids I found:

1)      UGG= TRYPTOPHAN         2) GAG= GLUTAMIC ACID     3) GGC= GLYCINE



4)      GGA= GLYCINE                  5) CAA= GLUTAMINE          

6) CAA= GLUTAMINE              7)  CCU=PROLINE                     

 8) CGU= ARGININE               9) AGA= ARGNINE

     10) CCA= PROLINE



 Pictures of my DNA molecule from start to finish:



First strand of my double helix
Black=Deoxyribone and Red=Phosphate



















I have attached my complementary base pairs to the phosphate (red twizzler)
Base pairs: ADENINE=ORANGE, GUANINE=GREEN, THYMINE=YELLOW
AND CYTOSINE=RED











This is what a DNA molecule looks like unwound




















Finished DNA molecule












My DNA model represents a double helix made up of sugar molecules and phosphate that twist around one another. Each strand has a nucleotide base that when paired together creates a stable structure of the DNA molecule. Each three successive base pairs will be one of the amino acids I listed above. The DNA molecule I constructed is the framework that helped me understand the Central Dogma of Biology. The central dogma of Biology is the flow of DNA being transcribed into RNA and RNA is translated into amino acids to make proteins.


Conclusion: 

My experiment demonstrated a DNA molecule that was constructed from a strand of DNA, transcribed into RNA and using a chart I was able to identify the different kinds of amino acids the DNA I chose is using to make proteins. I learned how DNA works in more depth. I understand now how to transcribe DNA into RNA and to identify the different amino acids. Learning more in depth about nucleotides and how they must pair with one another, in order to mesh and synthesize proteins.

No comments:

Post a Comment